Today I offer you a video post of me shooting a very interesting course of fire, the MEU(SOC) pistol qual. This qualification requires the use of a rifle in addition to the pistol. The drill is started by firing a shot from the rifle, simulating the rifle running dry, then transitioning to the pistol. Watch the video to learn more.
MEU(SOC) Pistol Qual
The MEU(SOC) pistol qualification is unusual because it assumes that the pistol will be a backup to a rifle. Each stage of fire begins with a rifle shot and a transition. This is the only qualification I am aware of that combines rifle and pistol skills in one. To be clear, there is a separate rifle qualification. You can watch me shoot and describe the entire course of fire here:
To shoot this drill you need a rifle with a sling, 15 rounds of ammunition, a pistol, holster, at least two magazines, 50 rounds of pistol ammo, and a shot timer. You will also need two targets spaced 1 meter apart, edge-to-edge; IDPA silhouettes work well.
Scoring is 2 points per shot in the 8″ body circle or 4″ head circle, 1 point per shot elsewhere on the silhouette, and 0 points for shots off the silhouette. Rifle shots outside the scoring zone count against the shooter’s score, but rifle rounds cannot count toward the score. Max score is 100.
The MEU(SOC) pistol qual course of fire is as follows:
All shots are fired on a single target. All shots are the body area of the target unless otherwise specified.
- 25 yards, pair standing and a pair kneeling, 9 seconds
- 15 yards, pair standing and a pair kneeling, 8 seconds
- 10 yards, pair, speed reload, another pair, 6.5 seconds
- 10 – 3, shooting on the move, pair, speed reload, another pair, 6.5 seconds
- 10 – 3, shooting on the move, failure drill (two body, one brain), 4.5 seconds
- 7 yards, pair strong hand only, 4 seconds
- 7 yards, pair weak hand only, 10 seconds
- 7 yards, pair to body, speed reload, single shot to brain, 6 seconds
At this point the target is scored. There should be 24 pistol shots and 8 rifle shots in the body and 2 pistol shots in the head.
In this stage all drills are fired on two targets.
- 15 yards, pair, speed reload, pair to second target, 8.5 seconds
- 10-3, shooting on the move, pair, speed reload, pair to second target, 6.5 seconds
- 10-3, shooting on the move, pair to each body, speed reload, shot to each brian, 8.5 seconds
- 7-3, shooting on the move, pair to both bodies, speed reload, pair to both bodies, 8 seconds
- 7 yards, single shot to each brain, 4 seconds.
This qualification stresses transitions, reloads, shooting on the move, and multiple target engagement. If you’re looking for something different give the MEU(SOC) pistol qual a try.